Healing traditions of every ancient culture have included some form of breath practice. There is a profound effect from the simple act of learning to breathe consciously. Breathing deeply and consciously:
- Teaches us to be more mindful
- Supports energy levels
- Helps keep us relaxed and centered
- Is a refuge from stress and a tool for healing
Lack of regular exercise promotes repair deficit while regular exercise reduces inflammation. Exercise should be a pleasure, with a goal of adequate activity that is achievable rather than excessive activity that becomes a burden.
The mind and body are always connected and interactive movement is essential for physical and mental peace. The ideal activities are those systems that combine breath and movement, with a priority given to core strength and musculoskeletal resilience. For example, traditional free form hatha and prana yoga, Tai Chi, Pillates, Trager systen, Feldenkrais method, and Alexander technique are all meaningful and restorative ways of combining breath and movement.
As a trusted healthcare guide, you are the best person to help your patients implement healthful lifestyle choices. Use Joy in Living: The Alkaline Way as a resource to help you prescribe, inspire, and support your patients in developing their own personalized program.
- We are what we EAT, DRINK, THINK & DO
- Joy in Living: The Alkaline Way is a valuable coaching tool – explaining and encouraging…
- Gentle exercise combining movement and conscious breathing
- Meditation and other relaxation techniques
- Using light therapy